Review: Tong Sui Kai, Ipoh


One of the many places in town that has grown over the years thanks to booming tourism, parking can be difficult here. If it's a rainy night, don't bother coming as it's all open air dining. Having said all that, it is quite a nice experience. Unless if you are not into crowds and smoky air.

Given that in recent times I've turned into a tourist in my own hometown, here's a sneak preview of the things I was recommended by the locals (namely my cousin). They did the ordering. I did the eating. With them, obviously.

Roast chicken wing and pig's feet. It could most certainly give KL's infamous wings a run for its money... if it wasn't so goddamn far. Both are sweet, thanks to their marinade. The pork was something foreign to me but it was pretty delicious. 

Lin chee kang. What is the English translation for this?
Made of snow fungus, dried lychee,  bits of ginkgo, the savory note comes courtesy of a hard boiled quail egg. My late grandmother would often feed me the egg as I love any egg except for homo sapien's.

Barley drink with fu chuk (bean curd skin) and ginkgo. Slightly thick, I prefer my barley to be more diluted but this is good for people who want to have something more substantial.

Bo bo cha cha. Again, what's the English name for this? Apparently, the bobo is a misheard or misspell or misspoken form of bubur that is porridge in Malay. To be honest, I don't particularly fancy this desert as it often comes with a fair bit of sweet potato and yam which ends up filling you up. I prefer my dessert light, thank you.

Nyonya kueh. The brown one is gula melaka honeycomb steamed cake which has a slight chewy and sticky texture. Something which I never took notice of until recently when tk introduced it to me.
The color one is a combination of glutinous rice, coconut rice, corn and pandan if memory serves me right. Both of them make for pleasant snacking. Except if you are on the watch for your sugar level.

What's good to wash all that down? Why, some sweet shaved iced with fruits, of course.

While it may not be as famous or big as KTZ, their menu is quite extensive. Most of which are variations on the basic sago loh or shaved iced topped with sago.

Honey dew.
Having deplorable hold on my mother tongue meant not being able to fully explore my food options. Sometimes, the food pop up in my mind but the Chinese name of it eludes my brain so I stick to my usual picking. Not that this made me regret it since I like the finely shaved iced with honey dew syrup drizzled all over.

Mango.
I found the fruit flavor overpowering but that's just from someone who don't particularly fancy the fruit in the first place.

Watermelon though it's more of a basic with more coconut milk with side serving of the fruit.
This was my niece's order though it's hard to tell if she wanted it for the taste or looks.

The all in.
It's good that despite being a road side stall, they took the effort to make it aesthetically pleasing without compromising on the taste to boot.

Yam.
Weird that it even existed in the first place but my uncle ordered it. As adventurous as I was, it just didn't tempt me enough.

Comments