Book#Dec2015: Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy


Having watched the movie and being completely enthralled by it, I decided to buy the book to understand the plot better because we all know that movie adaptations of the any books suck (with the exception of The Virgin Suicides).

Anybody who knows me would know how frugal careful I am when it comes to matter of the heart money especially when it is coming out of my pocket. Thus, having spent close to RM 50 for this shows my dedication to it. The funny thing is I went to another book store before coming to Borders and they didn't carry it. Fortunately, the guy working there pitied me and mocked the other shop for not carrying a seemingly obscure title. Mine turned out to be the last copy that they had in store and it wasn't in the best of condition. Guess the last laugh's on him then.

Actually, me for buying it anyway.

 The problem with the book is that it has quite a few different plots running together at the same time that it can be difficult to even recall the characters. Contrary to the movie, the book focuses on different stories depending on the chapter. To be honest, they all compliment each other but it wouldn't hurt to separate them into another book to make the book(s) more accessible.

The movie takes on the story of Anna Karenina who decided to go against society norm and bring disgrace to her husband, a highly respected member of the community and influential in the government. To be honest, one of the reasons why I was keen on the book was to understand better the circumstances surrounding her decision to abandon a stable family in pursuit of love.

How many stories do you see that end up with a tragic ending? To the heroine? This is what Anna Karenina is about. If there is a real life example, Monica Lewinsky would be a fine specimen. Luckily, Ms Lewinsky didn't go down the same path (or train track) that Anna took.

Although the book opens with that infamous line  'All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.', there are more memorable quotes from it. Some of which are too long to be condensed without losing its meaning.

For a book that was written so long ago, it made quite a few points that are relevant in today's age. The entire book focuses on the plight of farmers in Russia and the socioeconomic impact. If anything, Anna's story is more of a sideline to keep the reader (such as moi) interested while they take a breather from educating you about how the agriculture industry came about.

One thing that struck me as odd was how Karenin, her husband refused to let her go then goes on to say:
I cannot forgive, I do not want to, and I consider it unjust. I did everything for that woman, and she trampled everything in the mud that is so suitable for her. I am not a wicked man, I have never hated anyone, but her, I hate with all the strength of my soul and I cannot even forgive her, because I hate her so much for all the evil she has done me.
There is so much of hatred in that speech alone and it isn't difficult to understand where he was coming from. As a woman, Anna's act of running away with Vronsky while still married to another was scandalous even by today's standard but I wouldn't say that I don't understand why. As a man (imaginary), I tip my hat to Karenin for taking such a stance. Jude Law portrayed him very well, unlike his actual philandering self. Very believable, likable, pitiful.

The book took me close to 2years to finish. It was painful along the way because I can't identify with the farmer's plight (Farmville doesn't even come close). Anna's story is scattered along the way, serving more as fillers. If you are interested in olden day Russia, this book can be quite an eye opener.

For the rest of us, there are few gems strewn in that does make the book less dry. I leave you here with its' take on marriage is quite logical but may not apply in today's society:
Woman are the main stumbling block in a man's activity. It's hard to love a woman and do anything. For this there exists one means of loving conveniently, without hindrance - that is marriage.

It's as if you're carrying a burden and doing something with your hands is only possible if the burden is tied to your back - and that is marriage. But dragging this burden around without marriage - that will make your hands so full that you won't be able to do anything.

Comments