Review: SS2 Goreng Pisang, PJ SS2

Jalan SS2/64, 
47300 PJ
http://www.ss2gorengpisang.com/

Originally occupying a parking spot across the mamak, this humble little stall has since branched into One Utama shopping mall. Famous for their fried banana (if the name didn't state that obvious enough), that is exactly the one thing which I have not nor intend to try from them despite fried food being my Achilles heel. Banana is just a no-no for me.

Instead, it's always the deep fried nin gao or sweet glutinous rice cake layer with yam & sweet potato that never fails to lift my spirits up. I'd go there during the weekend after my usual exercise because parking can be horrendous here. Buy some from the van before heading to the food court for lunch. That was my life.

Strangely enough, I can't seem to find pictures of my favorite snack =\
This is also from them. Not my favorite but it's not bad. Hey, remember. Amy + fried food = happy.

 Deep fried sweet potato.
They managed to fry it until crackling crunchy on the outside. Obviously, it is bound to be super oily because it's not a Japanese method and it's your typical local Malaysian Chinese aunty doing it using her large wok which is half filled with oil.

Few years ago, there were rumours flying around about how some unscrupulous traders started to add plastic into the frying oil to make the food crunchier and for the crunch factor to last long(er). Someone even did an experiment by frying 2 food items; one with, the other without plastic in the oil. Both were then placed under direct fan blowing for some time. At the end of the experiment, it turned out that the one with plastic remained as crunchy as before. Scary but don't quote me on that. It was all an urban legend like how I was supposedly a call girl.

Anyway, most of the time, I get their goods relatively fresh, judging from how it scorches my tongue due to my impatience and hunger. Their stock turnaround is also quick as it's not uncommon to see folks queuing up and walking away with bags of goodies.

They offer both sweet and savory deep fried snacks. It's not difficult to buy enough to make into a proper, full meal but be sure to drink lots of water ok? 

Comments