Gobo Chit Chat, KL



Traders Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, 
Kuala Lumpur City Centre, 
50088 Kuala Lumpur
 Tel#03 2332 9888

After much activity in the morning, it was time for a hearty lunch. A buffet lunch to be precise.

During company events, do you notice how people tend to gravitate back to their own cliques? Rarely do you see people from different depts coming together as one. Sales don't count because those people are meant to fit in anywhere.

The buffet spread here is rather impressive, ranging from hot to cold.

There's the cold appetizer starters, mostly cold cuts and seafood. They didn't look too appetizing but tasted all right.

Rarely have I enjoyed cold appetizers unless it's plain cold cuts. When you put in more ingredients, then it feels not.... fresh?

But I did enjoy the salad with cheese.

Cooked seafood. Cold. The only cold seafood that I would take is oyster. Yes, they did have that but turned out that my fellow colleagues felt the same about oysters.

Once you're done with the cold dishes, move on to something warm.

Mostly baked stuff which didn't really pique my interest.

Can you guess what this?

Yup, they even have a Japanese counter. However, I do recommend skipping the sushi rolls. There were more rice than fish and was just mediocre. Save your stomach space for something better.

Sashimi was all right. Kinda fresh.

For dessert, there's baked goodies. I think placing them in fridges act like a deterrent, particularly when there wasn't someone manning the station regularly.

Which is why you should just focus on the chocolate fountain. Not the best chocolate used but it's chocolate yo. Rather sweet.

First order of lunch: soup, salad, cold cuts and sushi.
Anyone who knows their way around a buffet knows this is the best way to initiate the glutton fest. But I want to do it right and proper. Plus it was potato soup (not worth it sadly). The bread was quite nice. Few more rounds happened, mostly of food that wasn't bad yet not memorably good either.

Cake with ice cream and coffee followed by DIY-ed ais kacang. Don't ask me why the blue pearls, they don't taste much, not even sweet. Safe to say that I ain't go no talent in making this dessert.

The day officially ended with another buffet at the same place. Thankfully, the dinner spread is more sumptuous than lunch.

I mean, just look at that. Turned out that all it does is just look amazing. Taste was no where as grand.

More different cold cuts and salads. Or build your own salad from scratch if you want to know what exactly is in it. The cold pasta salad was quite nice despite not being cooked enough.

Their dinner spread is more Western influenced, with a generous use of olive oil for their appetizer range. This was one part of the buffet which most of my Malaysian colleagues barely looked at.

More cold seafood. Unfortunately, some weren't very fresh, a little black on the inside.

If there was a time that my laziness did me good, it was now. After all, how cool would it look to your office mates if you ended up with a wet fart? Not saying that the food would cause it but lets not risk it when your stomach tends to misbehave at times.

Despite being in a pretty high class hotel, their oysters were not as high. Some were small, some didn't look very fresh. I find Kinjuku's to be much better. Fresher at least.

I did give their cold cooked prawns a shot. Using fork and knife to de-shell prawns are a rarity, to my colleagues at least. Given the choice, I wouldn't mind dirtying my hands for banana leaf rice than seafood. It's just not worth it. Most certainly not for some cold prawns. Not superbly fresh.

I do prefer to stick to things that would be more expensive, that obviously includes these smoked salmon. So good they were that seconds I went for. The other cold fish on the right got a definite thumbs down around the dinner table. Herring if my memory still works right.

More salmon, more joy for me. The capers version was better than this which had that acidic twist from the lemon.

Having experience a below par sushi for lunch, I wasn't going to fall for aesthetics this time.

If you're feeling very cold already, move on to the hot stations. So many to pick from that you'll be spoilt for choices.

Beef wellington, anyone? For a period of time, the idea of cooking it swirled in my head. Like the men in my life, it disappeared soon enough with time. Perhaps that's why I gave this a skip, knowing that I may one day want to create it and not want to be disappointed that it doesn't taste as good.

Grilled fish. It was very weird to see a fish so red, not from the lighting but the spices used that I didn't try it.

Yup, live cooking our neighbor's unofficial national dish. Word on the street was it wasn't great.

If crab's not your thing, what about these?

Or some fish while you're at it. Somehow, these felt like it would be too much for me alone so no order.
Also, why la go try something that you can easily get outside?

More warm food. Mostly Western dishes that heck, not even Top Chef prepared me for.

Maybe these dishes are good and my unrefined palate just don't know how to appreciate them 😀

It also doesn't help that we were well fed throughout the day that we weren't very hungry come dinner. Takoyaki balls looked authentic enough but I wasn't going to have more less filling, more fluff.

Trying a bit of everything. As you may notice, the spread is quite diverse that one can only afford few morsels of each dish to be able to try everything.
While most of the food were not bad, I can't say that the buffet spread was an overall success. If there's one thing that was impressive, it would be the sheer amount of choices.

 Cheese selection here is so sad now that I've had a taste of proper cheese. Churros were crunchy but they got nothing against Street Churros.


Gobo Chit Chat - Traders Hotel Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments