Journeying through food


They say that the most important meal of the day is breakfast because it's your first meal after 8hours. Or however long you sleep for. On average, my weeknights average on 6hours 10minutes of sleep. fml.

Someone in my office had the fore skin sight to start selling breakfast in the office because our then-new office didn't have any breakfast joint that didn't involve walking for a good few minutes, cross a main road. I've probably done that less than 5times in these 2years.

This reminded me of a time when a fellow colleague complained about being charged £1 for papadam. Each piece. So, I don't know why Village Grocer was thinking when they decided to sell this. You could get freshly made-to-order plain naan at half that price.

Different incarnations of butter chicken. On the left is from a restaurant that suffered the same fate. On the right is from another that's faring much better and surprisingly I never blogged about before. This cooking style is still best suited for crab with fried mantou.

I generally steer clear of such stalls but we didn't have any choice since we were late. This place has brisk business but it's nothing to shout about. 

Nothing quite like banana leaf rice to put you to sleep. But still the best thing to have for lunch on a week day =D

A slightly better version of mamak, Uncle K has few different genres under the same roof. Their mee goreng was on the wet side but definitely better than what my mamak would have served.

The same loh mee stall. It's  funny story, this one. I almost, always, without fail would order their original loh mee but occasionally, the adventurous part of me would question my choice. Why not go for something different for once? But, I like the tried and tested method too. It's a conundrum  that plays out in my life, so much so that it's easier to just not have anything at all at times.

Anyway, my order was the same old noodles but they somehow got the order wrong and cooked the yee mee version instead. I supposed in a way that helped. Just for the record, personally, yee mee is still best in Cantonese style, when they still have a bit of crunch in them.

Then there are times when my hormones get the better of me. Not the same day but both equally not very healthy or small. My brain goes haywire when my reproductive organs go out of wonk.

When we went back to Ipoh, my uncle would sometimes order the porridge from across the road. I didn't find the porridge to be that good (nor did I adore the dish in general) but what stuck in my memory was the deep fried intestines. My father would laugh but also caution me about its dangers. So, I was very happy to have found Porridge Time that serves them with pretty good porridge.

It is strange (for me especially) to come to a banana leaf joint and not order just that. Somehow, we were at Nirvana and I just didn't feel like having rice that day. It somehow turned out to be a blessing in disguise because I got called after that for some work -_-

Located at the same place, this dessert shop moved into the makeshift food court while they are building Biji. Sometimes, it's nice to have a break from expensive, dairy-ful dessert and go for something simpler like this instead.

Came all the way to Taman Desa for some quick grub and ended up in Sing Kee. I think they have better choices during lunch as their dinner options are limited to the usual tai chow and soup.

The nearest Chinese kopitiam to me but one I seldom frequent due to the lack of parking. It's so bad that people park by the main road or just double park. Like I sometimes do to do takeaways. Tropikiri is always busy from morning till just after the lunch hour. They started doing dinner not too long ago but I think it's only Thai food, satay and chicken rice stalls on the menu.

It was a first for me, seeing curry chicken served with my wantan mee. Not awesome but not bad either. The Penang kuew teow is my sick day meal. Not too heavy with the flavors, yet filling enough to send me off to lala land after my meds.

Two different noodles. The oyster mee sua is from Ming Tien and costs RM 7. A total ripoff that made me swear off getting lunch here. Dinner is OK because I don't usually pay for my dinners 😂I can't recall where that pork noodle was from. Soup pork noodle is something new in my menu because it just wasn't something I would eat back then. 

Takeaways used to be the norm for my dinners. This is what laziness and poverty can drive you to: starvation. If nobody would buy me food, I'd go to bed hungry. Why? Because I deserved it for being lazy and miserly.

The nasi lemak with egg and fried chicken was from Al Ehsan. Yes, there is rice hiding underneath there. The fried chicken is very famous there for being crispy and comes with lots of crispy bits. The noodles is (if not mistaken) from one of the shops in PJ SS17 wai sek kai.

Sometimes it's not the food but the thought that came with it.

I hope that I will be fortunate enough to continue with this food journey without going broke or getting fat(ter).

Comments