Thing I Learnt - 5th May

I believe that we should learn or at least discover something new everyday. It doesn't have to be something useful (obviously, it'll be great if it is) or practical (lets face it, we are all lazy bums) or even of use at all (it's ok, brownie points to show off). The point is to take something from the day and be amazed that you learnt it. Doesn't matter how small or irrelevant it may be. Just find something new ok?

For today, my lesson came from the ever so useful MS Excel. As much as you loathe it, you have to admit that without Excel, you'd be crying crunching numbers and charts mindlessly. It used to be one of those applications that everyone was gushing about and I was going, "omg, wtfisthisshit?". My sole training on it was almost a decade ago on MS Excel 2003. Can't say that I remember all that now but it did help abit.

My previous job required generating lots of report. So much so that I wasn't sure who actually reads them. Still, it was nice to know that some people's jobs are on the line because of my report. When I first started, my Excel skill was mediocre at best but thankfully, I had quite a lot of time at my disposal to master improve them. Apparently, my skill was not too shabby when I could answer my current boss on how to add rows/columns.

Anyway, my current job didn't involve number crunching on Excel much or even report generating. Hence, when a raw report landed on my lap today, it annoyed me slightly that one of the buttons were disabled.

 The Data Table button to be specific. Thinking it was because the file was opened directly from an email, I saved a local copy of it. Turned out I was wrong, my annoyance was escalating. Did the report generator actually hard-coded to disable data update?!?!?

Few Google searches later and the answer was simple: The pie chart doesn't allow for data table.
Switched it to line chart and voila!

I am no MS Excel guru so yes, little things like this excite me. Especially when it is something that I had been doing for awhile and it alludes me after a long period of absence.

Have you learnt anything new today? If not, may I offer myself for you to learn better? Like how to make me happy =D

Comments