A French Affair


How did you celebrate mother's day? Although not a mother myself, any occasion is good to get the family together for a good feast. In the past, my sister and her other half have prepared for us:
  • Chinese
  • Mexican
  • Greek
Can you guess what today's theme is? In case if you missed the title of this post, it's French.

They are good host, going all out with the theme. And what screams mother's day more than carnations? Wonder if my hosts are on PlateCulture. Hmm...

Both of them are quite the traveler, having gone to many countries. They probably covered half the globe already by now. I wish that I have the money to just even go Thailand for a nice vacation.
Just kidding. I wish that I have the money to even pay for my meals.

Don't get me wrong, I love to cook but when you are cooking for one and most of the recipes that you're interested to calls for a gazillion or ingredients that can't be reused else where, it makes the idea so difficult that going to my local chap fan stall and pay RM 5 for a hearty meal is a very good tradeoff.

My brother-in-law stepped up his game and got into bread making, fitting in one of those swanky, in the cupboard type of ovens that costs 3grand. That's like my 3months expenses.

Although they weren't feeling very well that day, they managed to cook up a rather decent spread.

Both of them were doing relatively good in the kitchen so we entertained ourselves in the living room... which is actually just across the kitchen in the one bedroom, 750sqf apartment.

I don't know how the bloggers get good arial shots of their food. This was taken while standing on a chair and my sister went, "omg, please don't fall onto the food". Thanks, sister, for being concerned.

For some reason, alcohol is featured quite prominently in my family in recent years, not sure if it has anything to do with my brother-in-law's presence.

A sparkling white wine. It did give me a nice buzz after the first glass. The good (or not so, depending on how you look at it) for being a lousy drinker. People say that I am turning into some health freak for not drinking, partying, clubbing.

If you give me the money, I could party like it's 1999 there's no tomorrow. Pay for the alcohol, the makeup and dresses then finally, the diet programs.

Of course, it is difficult to say no to the occasional boozing. Especially when it's free :")
Actually, it is difficult for me to reject anything free nowadays.

Look at it bubble <3 Not a wine connoisseur or even drinker, I found this to be just right, not too sweet or bitter. It leaves a nice aftertaste.

When my sister sent out the invitation, she scheduled it at 1pm.

Sunday 10th May 1pm? OK.
actually I put 1pm just so uncle would be there early. 
wow, in that case, you might as well put 12pm. he'll be there 12.30pm earliest, if not 1pm.
oh great. but you get here by 1.30pm

Do you have people who'd just turn up royally late, like as though they own the scene? Unless you are some big shot or picking the tab, it is common sense to be there no later than 30minutes the appointed time. Unfortunately, some people think that you need to cater to their timing, maybe they are even the centre of your universe or you are so pathetic that your life has nothing else better than to wait for their holy presence. Then there are those who can come up with so many excuses each time that you give up asking why altogether and make a mental note to either not ask them out or tell them an hour before.

Not sure how long until the kids will start moving onto real proper food but until then, they will have their obligatory fried chicken. This is actually drum-lets and wings marinated in those pre-mix and baked in the oven for a healthier alternative.
Obviously, these lacked the crunch factor but the flavor from the marinate was good.

Sausage fried rice. Surprisingly, my uncle who likes to cook different (read: non-Chinese) cuisines liked this the best. You'd think he be more adventurous but no. Not that this fried rice was bad, it just wasn't spellbindingly goddamn awesome.


Moving on to something more proper, my brother-in-law's homemade bread turned out very well. Although not very airy, it was a good effort with a nice slightly hard top. It went well with the sauces. But even on its own, it was great.


Baked escargot in olive oil and garlic. They bought a can at RM 30 and baked it at home.

The oil and garlic did well in masking any fishy taste the snails may have. Surprisingly, though baked, it was quite soft and tender.

Chicken fricassee. The original recipe calls for browning the chicken lightly before turning it into a stew but due to time and effort constraint, my sister turned it into a stew right away. The cream and butter gave this an almost rich flavor but it worked out well. Paired with the fresh lettuce, it was a great main dish.

The chef kept going on about how there are few rounds of food. Turned out it was actually just two =\ So much so that I wanted to get a second piece of chicken but knew that was going to be a futile effort when they were cleaning up and kept it into a box to refrigerate. That was a blessing in disguise for a sweet ending.

My coffee addiction is taking a turn for the worse this week, no thanks to my training. As interesting as the trainer tries to make the class to be, learning the theoretical part with no direct real world application is perhaps just slightly more interesting than watching paint dry.

My aunt's famous jelly in eggshells. Growing up, she had always made these for any occasions. The kids especially love it. Not too sweet and quite a novelty item, it was only when a friend pointed out that it got me wondering, how hygienic is it?
The fact that I am writing this shows that either it's entirely safe or my stomach has developed immunity.

Cream puffs with custard filling. Yes, all homemade.

The puffs were great; crunchy outside, airy inside. The custard filling was a little too sweet but the coffee came in handy.

Just so you know, I took my time to stitch these photos up in Photoshop and not using those apps. Please appreciate them.

Comments