Thing I Learnt - 17 May

I used to be able to turn back time. Not just figuratively speaking. I really could.
The two apps that I would religiously log into daily was Duolingo and 7Minute Workout. As part of my new year's resolution, my goal was to learn German and exercise daily. So what better way than an app to keep track of my progress?

The minimum duration for the workout was 90days or 3months. It used to daunt me but now that I am well over the 100day mark, I can't say that it is less daunting, only more realistic. That hey, it's not entirely impossible. Sure, it takes a hell lot of motivation to get started but like Pringles, once you start, you just want to keep the momentum going. Hence, discipline kicks in. Given how much I love food, it is a no brainer to continue, lest I end up getting fat(ter).

The funny thing is the app was originally installed on my Xperia only and not sync-ed to my Google account. I always (try to) ensure that either of my mobile would have enough juice but old age is catching up so at times, both of my phones are on the brink of dying. So, I thought it wise to install the app onto my Xiaomi as well and sync the data across.

As luck would have it, my Xiaomi sync-ed to my Xperia, leaving me with a blank sheet. All the work I had put in for the past 2months were gone like that. POOF. You cannot begin to imagine my heartache. I've since moved on and thankfully, my progress is now back (somewhat) on track.  If I missed a day of workout, there was a loop in that you can actually change your system date and trick the app to think that you did work out on that day. Now, it still takes one heart away :(

My German lessons have somewhat slowed down much though I am practicing on my current vocabulary. New modules tend to take more of an effort to plow through hence the need for a dedicated time to learn them. When first started, a paper and pen came in handy to jot down notes which really do help in memorizing them. But once you repeat them enough, it all comes to mind automatically. No kidding.

When my 4year old niece had to use her fingers to count how much is the sum of two given numbers (both single digits), I laughed inside. She would put up the fingers and count along, "one, two three...". It didn't quite make sense as the brain would have computed that without the need for fingers especially for such small numbers. After I started my number module on Duolingo, I found myself doing exactly the same thing. Mind you, not even to sum up the numbers but to just know what are the numbers equivalent in German. Definitely not karma, me thinks.

On normal weekdays, I would practice during lunch time when things are quieter and more time to myself. Weekends would be in between watching television and playing with my tab. Sometimes, things do get too hectic that I forget until the eleventh hour. In panic mode, my German skill plunges dramatically and with a race against time, it becomes very frustrating. With Duolingo, it is unforgiving, in that once you miss a day, just a single day, even by an hour, it resets your learning streak to 0. ZERO.

Somehow,  it passed the 100day mark and almost an achievement unlocked. Whenever I come across some German pictures or articles, it is nice to be able to know some of the words. It would be a dream come true to be able to read a full article or watch shows in German and know what they are about. But like my dream of getting married, it remains a dream. At least the German dream would be easier to come true.

Unfortunately, all that came crashing down on me on Friday. My training ended just before lunch and so we headed to the mall for lunch. Chilled there for awhile then headed out to continue relaxing before next week starts. Before I know it, night was there and the idiot box had nothing good on thus, bedtime.  By the time I realised it, the clock had struck half past midnight. Much as I tried, it refused to register my progress for Friday. Thus from 110+days, it is now back to nothing. FML.

T_T Unlike my exercise routine, my German routine doesn't quite come to mind. Strange given how exercise can be quite the chore. Sigh, apart from the obvious of setting an alarm, how do you make a routine stick? People say it takes 21days (minimum) for a habit to become your routine. Perhaps, learning to move past the failure would be a good starter.

Comments