a mid autumn indulgence

Moon cake festival isn't for another 4months but mark my words, you'll see moon cakes on sale 2months before that. This is another tradition that I never quite caught on unlike yee sang which totally caught me off guard. Maybe this year, it'll be going back to my roots because looking at these pictures is making me want to have some =\

Special mooncake flown all the way from Hong Kong. One thing I don't like about moon cakes in general is their size and that overbearing sweet filling. This was dainty, slightly bigger than the old 50cent coin. With a lotus paste filling, it was still quite sweet but nothing like a nice hot cuppa tea to wash it down. Although it doesn't have any salted egg yolk (bummer), this was quite nice.

A homemade version courtesy of a colleague's mother-in-law. The skin was a little thick but good with the sweet filling. Given the amount of calories in each, it's a good thing that they don't come cheap.
Another team had a team building activity that involved making mooncakes. This is another variation i.e. snow skin where no baking is required. They added chia sweet onto the pastry with a sweet bean filling. Definitely not as sweet as those commercial ones.

Today I was sitting in the pantry with my boss when the same team was having a mini birthday celebration. Shamelessly I was hoping to be offered a slice of cake. Sorry but I was really hungry =(


Moon cake sans filling. It's more like a cookie since it's mainly the pastry dough baked until slightly crunchy. The top version is plain while bottom came with chopped almonds. Both tasted great =D

Comments