Chill chill break: Big Red Strawberry Farm

Brinchang,
39000 Brinchang
Tel#05-491 3327
http://bigredstrawberryfarm.com/
There are many farms in Cameron Highland but this was the one that came highly recommended. No entrance fee which is not the case in all the farms here. To get here, you'll first pass by Cactus Valley. It may look like a dead end once you reach that. Big Red Strawberry Farm is sneakily hidden from view as it's up the hill.

The place is just overflowing with plants. If you've been to the old (like really old) Sungai Buloh plantation shop, you'll know what I'm talking about. Some of which are common, some not so.I'm no farmer myself but there's something nice about pretty flowers. My parents both love gardening and did rope me in during my younger years. Over time, it went from helping to pluck out weed to just watering them. Even that also was quite a chore which I gave up. Eh, their garden is big enough to be a mini farm by itself.

SMALL FLOWERS  🏶

This is one that my mother used to plant. Usually in a small pot and left to hang.

Thought of having one nice picture for my Facebook cover photo. Guess not 🤣As this farm is on a hill, the walk is a wee bit steep. Nothing too adventurous as the walkway is properly tarred. Again, not the case in all the farms.


Here's what they look like up close and personal. Would you like to know me up close and personal too? 😄
Could this be geranium?
Like roses but not quite. Or maybe a distant relative of them.

Side by side, they look almost the same but not quite.


It was in the morning and the weather was very cooperative. Hence, the bright pictures.

A very commonly used filler in bouquets, yet its name is unknown to me. I'm guessing it's aster. Or maybe a shasta daisy.

Nothing like a bed of aster to make the heart aflutter. It's sad that our weather means no nice flowers.

It's not unusual to see these in office compounds or gardens. They do look sweet but do require regular trimming so that it doesn't look like a bush. Kinda like where the sun don't shine 😁

The good thing about this farm is they took the effort to label the different kind of plants. The bad thing about the writer of this blog is she doesn't take the effort to note them down. 😶

These can sometimes be seen at the roadsides. They do provide a joyful feeling with that bright shade.

Looks like ixora but I can't be sure.
















TALL FLOWERS ⚘

My mother did try to plant sunflower one time but it just didn't turn out as planned like everything else in our life. Has anyone had success in this hot weather? I think it's nice to have a garden with a beaming sunflower to greet you in the morning.
Did you know that there are few different types of daisy? I didn't. This particular one is called gerbera daisy, one of my mother's success story, however short lived it was, at least it flowered once. Florists offer bouquets of this daisy but I personally feel that it's too casual for a bouquet.

It's tempting to lump this as our national flower, the hibiscus but the stigma and stamen look wrong 😷

HYDRANGEAS  💮
Not my first time seeing them but these were humongous. Even bigger than my head.
Sadly, it's one of those things that can only survive in cold climates.

 It does make for a pretty wedding bouquet 🎕


OPEN BLOOMS🥀

 So yea, I'm running out of flower emoticons. These aren't wilting, merely hanging around as they are usually planted in pots that are hung from the ceiling.
These looked rather fiery red. Not exactly hanging as these are ground plants.















ROSES 🌹
There are quite a number of rose species but the amount that Cameron Highland has to offer is rather astounding. This here is a rose.My neighbor did plant a version of rose that surprisingly not only survived, it lived and prospered enough to bloom a whole garden of it.
The more common one that we see, courtesy of florists and lucky bitches who receive them in the office.


When I first started receiving bouquets of roses, the most annoying thing was how they lasted only 2days at most. By the third day, they looked like they're begging to be put an end to their miserable existence with a droopy expression and frayed petals. These days, they last for almost a week. I am very impressed.

Two different types of roses. If only I lived somewhere cold 😔

There are also mixed color roses. I'm not really sure it works (for me). 



Pink rose though not in my favorite sub species. The color makes it all the better.

I've not seen a yellow rose before. Maybe that's a good sign 😀 Would you send someone in your friendzone roses though? Quite a lot of money to be spent on someone you don't plan on shagging getting into a relationship with. If yes, lets be friends!

More yellow roses but with a tinge of red. Still not getting into my good book.

Rows after rows of roses. If you love roses, this is the place to be.


OK, last (yellow) rose.

While yellow rose signifies friendship, white denotes marriage. But Chinese folks will probably go choi! at the sight of them at weddings.
The roses here can get quite big, about the size of my palm or maybe even bigger. Very impressive 😯

A pure white rose for the pure soul.


They say that flowers are a wedding budget killer. One way to lessen the dent is by using fake flowers. I don't know la, fake flowers feel so.... .fake.













GREENS 🌿

Apart from flowers, there are something for the men too. Not too sure what this is. There are clusters of the fruits (?) all around, some in red (ripe?).
Parsley in its original natural form looks much better than on my noodle. No, still not gonna eat them.
Not a herb but just grass. They feel oh-so-soft to the touch.
For a period of thyme time, I was cooking using Western herbs regularly. This is rosemary which has a rather strong flavor. Remove the leaves from the stalk, mix it with yogurt to make into a chicken marinade. Bake and enjoy 🐔
The one thing that I was looking forward to was strawberry picking. However, my tour planner asked me this:
how do you think they make the strawberries so big and round?
Turned out to be pesticide 😐Anyway, I didn't want to pay RM 25 for an all-you-can-pick strawberry trip as it's usually in a basket and I don't know if it would be possible to finish them all.
The strawberry section was closed and most of them were still not ripe yet. This one was quite the perfect sweetheart.
You know those Cameron Highland salads? Look at them before they end up on your supermarket shelf in plastic bags.

Their smoking warning is quite funny. I wonder if it applies to vaping too.

This farm is quite different from the rest as there's a cafe serving food. Mostly desserts with strawberries.

Strawberry creme brulee. Actually it's not strawberry infused, only slices of it on top. The sweet custard with the slightly sour strawberry in the cold weather is certainly one of the highlights of this trip.

Comments