Let It Go

How many of you have skated before? 🙋I can finally raise my hand to that.
Although Sunway opened their ice skating rink more than a decade ago (maybe 2), it wasn't something that attracted me because it took me a long time to be able to ride a bike, skating sure didn't look any easier.And truthfully, it wasn't.

GroupOn Fave was having a promotion and since I had days to burn, I bought it and went on my day off. Now, the thing about skating is you need the shoes, socks and gloves. The first two makes sense but gloves? Unless your gloves are cut resistant, what's the point? Somehow, there's an irrational fear in me that this may happen. Fortunately enough, it didn't during my few hours of (trying to) skating.

It was my virgin skating trip and boy, part embarrassment, part difficult, but definitely all challenging. Those kids that make it look so effortless as they glide across the ice? LIES. I was lucky enough that I didn't fall flat on my bum (or tumble forward). That is also because 99% of the time, my hand was holding to the sides. The only time my hand was free was just to overtake someone who was doing the same, albeit slower 😅 I was like, "man, I'm already literally just inching forward. how could you be slower than me?".

Skating turned out to be quite a sport by itself. Yes, sweating comes naturally despite being in an ice rink. You can request for a trainer but of course, that comes with extra cost. I saw few families bringing their small children who barely reach my waist for training with a coach. Wonder how much that would cost in the long run 💸

Would I do it again? Nah. I've crossed that off my sparse bucket list and I'm happy.

Comments