Ice, ice peanut

Ais kacang is the cheaper alternative to bingsu and kakigori.It's funny how they are all literally shaved ice but the price disparity is huge. But when you start to look at ais kacang, it kinda figures why....

This one is almost like a parade going on with the bright green and red. It was indeed one of the more attention grabbing ones that I've had. Does it look great? Well, you tell me. As for taste, it did taste a little too artificial.

Look at just how unnaturally green that it. This one is from Nasi Kandar Pelita SS15.

Not all ais kacang are alike. If anything, even at the same shop, you may not necessarily get the same outcome each time. I used to help out my Ipoh neighbors to make these desserts. Funnily enough, it grew to the point that they were featured as one of the things to explore when you're there. No,  I don't think I played a part in it though my kampung  didn't have that many things to begin with 😅 This one is from PJ SS2 wai sek kai but I think the stall has closed down.

How could a local franchise serving local food not have this on their menu? Pappa Rich offers not just drinks but also dessert. It almost looks too sanitized to be considered a Malaysian dessert. Also maybe because it wasn't prepared by a Malaysian 😷

I don't know about you but what's the point of a nice looking dessert but doesn't satisfy you much? Luckily, this is the dessert after a heavy meal so we didn't have much room to begin with. The ice is molded using a cup with the ingredients are set by the side instead of at the bottom of the ice. The good thing about this arrangement is you don't have to dig all the way under for some of the good stuff.

While it's almost the same price as outside, the portion is almost drastically halved 💸

Comments