Chong Qing Noodles, Faber Tower


 Jalan Desa Bahagia,
Taman Desa,
58100 Kuala Lumpur

 The Chinese name doesn't tally with its English name. It's as though the owners of Chong Qing Noodles 李大姐重慶小面 thought it'll be wise to just use their signature dish as its name while their Chinese name translates to Big Sister Lee. Or something like that.

 The first thing that'll strike you is how China Chinese their theme is. Furniture would remind you of those kungfu movies and boy, are they uncomfortable. Hanging gourds greet you from above. But what really reminds you that there's no mistaking this is a China restaurant is the staff and the customers. They all speak in that thick Chinese accent.

 This one is a little scary tbh.

 Chinese opera mask. The stuff of (my) nightmare. If you are interested, there's also this. I don't know why people like to display dolls at home. It's like having a set of eyes watching your every move.

My iced chrysanthemum drink.

I didn't know the my original fellow countryman take their drinks quite literal. There wasn't much of any chrysanthemum taste in it. At least it was healthy as there was no sugar. However, one wonders how clean the flower is...🐛

Dry pea minced pork noodle. Yes I made that up. But if you are looking for something non-spicy, this would be it. Don't worry, the noodle still has flavors to it, courtesy of the pork. It's not the soy sauce type of gravy but close enough.

Chong qing noodles with pork cubes. They have few different variations of this in terms of the meat. Not that it would make much of a difference unless you can read Chinese or understand China Mandarin. What matters is you get a bowl of hot and spicy soup. The noodles were cooked right, with still some bite to it, not too soggy. Meat was braised long enough that they were tender. Only the vegetable on the top left was a little puzzling. It's similar to mui choy but less intense?

While I was expecting for a very spicy experience, what really blew my mind was how mind mouth numbing it was. As in literally numbing my tongue when I ate some of the vegetable. I don't think it's the heat from the chili because it doesn't taste spicy even with some of the soup. For some odd reason, the combination of the vegetable and soup rendered my tongue senseless.

This one is supposedly their spicier offering. Although I won't say it's not spicy, it's still in the bearable limit. No need for iced water on standby.

Comments

Unknown said…
The szechuan pepper has that effect