How To: Cook Buffalo Steak

Cooking is one of the few things that I enjoy even though it's also not something that I am particularly good at. Having said that, there isn't much I am good at too.

Oh wait, I am good at running away from responsibilities and jumping into conclusions. If only those are handy in real life.

Anyway, my somewhat successful baked yogurt chicken renewed my faith in my cooking. Next step: steak. But beef steak is almost always expensive. A decent piece of beef would set you back by at least RM 10. Lets not even go into wagyu. A friend who recently underwent a diet lifestyle change was saying how buffalo steak is not bad piqued my interest in bison meat. To be honest, I was more skeptical than interested to try it out but Tesco were selling these dirt cheap so why not?

For 2 pieces of steak, they cost only RM 1.70. Yes! Less than RM 5. A rather cheap experiment that wouldn't hurt even if it failed. While this meat is uncommon, it does offer more health benefits.

My lunch over the weekend. Everything was cooked from scratch.

Nothing like fresh greens to go with steak so I walked to grocer just to buy these. Talk about motivation. Lightly pan fried them with the golden mushroom from the leftover juice of the steak. They turned out great.

The chickpeas, on the other hand, suffered from my carelessness. I left them boiling while I took my shower and it nearly burnt the pot as the water ran out. So yes, some of them were burnt but not wanting to waste and too lazy to pick them out, I washed them off and boiled it again. Only this time, in the microwave.

Buffalo steak. These are roughly the size of two palms. Marinated with salt and pepper only, it would probably have tasted better if butter instead of corn oil was used to pan fry them. Few sites mention that bison meat cooks faster than beef and would appear more red/raw. Not wanting to risk food poisoning, I let these cook until cooked through and through. Quite a big mistake as they became slightly hard. But then again, coming from someone who doesn't really like to chew her food, it may be just my laziness. Please also don't forget my partially burnt chickpeas needed chewing as well because they weren't 100% soft.

My mouth got a really good exercise for this lunch.

Comments