Review: Economy rice, Kampung Cempaka Wet Market

Jalan PJU 1/5,
Kampung Cempaka,
Petaling Jaya. 

This may be the stuff of nightmares and indeed it was for me that weekend when I made the journey out with the possibility of a heavy downpour just to get my dinner. Located behind the market, it was closed on Sunday. Wearing a white t-shirt and shorts, I was stuck there while waiting for the rain to subside.

It didn't quite.
Thus, slightly drenched and very much hungry, my Sunday was quite a bummer. But on happier times, this place had been quite a good source of economical meals.

Originally located in the corner restaurant (on the right of this shot), the stall owner was forced to evict as the restaurant owner decided, "hey, I also want a slice of the pie. So I am going to sell the same damn thing". In fact, they forced two of their biggest contributors (economy rice and chicken rice stalls) out. That turned out to be a blessing for both businesses as it got bigger. Wonder if the restaurant owner is beating themselves up now.

While the chicken rice owner setup a proper shop, the economy rice aunty went on a much smaller scale with a makeshift restaurant. The place has a questionable permit, whatmore renovation permission but so far, no untoward accident so that's a good thing? 

 Chap fan literally translates to mix rice which is rather accurate as it's simply rice with dish(es) of your picking.

In my case, there usually is no rice involved. Just have more vegetable. Or meat. 

This here is stir fried spinach and chicken fried in egg butter floss with curry leaves. My choice of meat and its cooking style certainly leaves a lot to be desired in terms of dietary value but it did taste good.
 Another way to substitute rice is using tofu. This is a simple tofu steamed with soy sauce and fried shallots. The pork is marinated in vinegar to give it a slight sourness. Fatty but once in a while, it is fine to indulge.

Again, the same spinach.
 Most of the times, a plate of food here of one vegetable and one meat sans rice would cost about RM 4 or RM 5 which is quite affordable.

However, for this one, it cost about RM 7 because deep fried chicken is expensive and she counted per piece -_- Was it well worth it? Delicious, no doubt but I felt slightly cheated.

Can you tell how much I like spinach? There is a simplicity in how its cooked, the wholesome flavor. Maybe, my subconscious is hoping it would grant me super strength like Popeye.
Curry wild boar and stir fried long beans. I don't know what's so special about wild boar in general. The texture is supposedly nicer, not as soft. Those things just translate to more effort in chewing and I ain't got the time for that. The curry isn't all that spicy. Certainly something that's great with rice.

Why no spinach? Must give it a break. Also to give them beans a chance. 
 As my exercise routine progressed, so did my hunger. At times, it made me so ravenous that I could eat a cow.

This is my version of a cow.
Lots of egg steamed with minced pork. Fried chicken. Spinach is back on the menu too.

This version of egg is my childhood favorite. Egg and pork. Come on, it's a comfort food, all right.
 Minced pork and potato in soy sauce gravy on a bed of spinach with a side of salted egg.
These are all very simple dishes but awesome to pig out in front of the idiot box.

Herbal chicken with spinach and salted egg yolk. Healthy meal except for the portion. My life is spiraling out of control. I used to be able to skip dinner every other night (if not every week night). Now it feels like my stomach has a life of its own. fml.

The rise of the chap fan.

Economy rice is more than just a cheap dining option. For foreveralones, it is a savior because this can be healthy (depending on what you choose and how much). There is also variety and a number of different combination possible unless you're like me and adore spinach (almost) to death.
But once you start buying your own fresh produce to produce meals at home (get it??), it doesn't seem so economical only.

For example, my beloved spinach would costs about RM1 when bought raw. The portion is enough for 2 full meals. Not as a side dish but a full meal. Thus, chap fan is now taking a sabbatical from my routine. A garden leave, maybe.

Comments