Review: Tanjung Bungah Restaurant, PJ SS2

117, Jalan SS 2/6,
47300 Petaling Jaya
Tel#03-7877 4531
 Since jl wanted to try Nyonya food and this was one of the few search results that Google threw me, we came here on a Saturday night to a full house. It took us 15minutes before we could get a table. Probably better if you made reservations in advance. Also, the noise inside can get rather deafening at peak dinner hour.

Fried brinjal with belacan RM 15
 I use the term 'belacan' here rather loosely as it's more like a home concoction of chili sauce with onion and birds eye cili, among others, resulting into an almost potent sauce but addictive nonetheless. The brinjals were nicely fried and slightly crunchy on the outside. A very pleasant surprise for someone who doesn't really like brinjals in general. Maybe because it's deep fried.

Jiu hu char RM 15
Shredded sengkuang or jicama that is used mostly in popiah or spring rolls. They managed to sliced this rather thinly that it impressed jl. For me, it was an OK dish, not too salty. But do I like it? The flavor is a little on the mild side for me.

Kapitan curry chicken RM 15
The chicken was cooked until tender which I really appreciate as it meant not having to bite/chew so much. The curry itself is also milder than the Indian version, without as much of coconut milk. Still, a good version of curry.

Tau yu bak RM 15
Braised pork belly in soy sauce is, according to jl, close to the real deal. It puzzled me as to why she wanted to have Nyonya food since she would be going back to Penang anyway in a week's time. Anyhow, she like this and I found it was OK. If only they braised the pork longer to make it more tender. The tofu did soak up the gravy.

My opinion on this is probably not on spot as my tastebud is more accustomed to food with heavier seasoning. Thanks, KFC and McD's.

Comments