Review: Sushi Zanmai, Paradigm Mall

 Ever since they started to give Sushi King a run for their money, Sushi Zanmai has been consistent in providing quality sushi, which is more than what I can say for the king. I like their hip, modern ambience. The crowds are slightly better than Sakae Sushi too. Maybe also because it's a bit more expensive here =\

 Lo and behold, the reason I paid this joint a visit and you are reading this post the following night it actually took place because:
  • this isn't going to be on their menu for long
  • it is really that good 
At RM 19.80+, it is the perfect answer to those of you who are socially awkward for large groups but still want to toss for a good year ahead.

 For a sushi restaurant, obviously they gave fresh and thick slices of salmon sashimi. On top of that, the rest of the ingredients are equally fresh. It didn't taste like any of those crappy store-bought ready made yee sang Chinese restaurants like to charge an exorbitant amount.

 Their plum sauce is also just right. Complements and brings all the ingredients together. Certainly a good way to start my lou sang journey for the year ^_^

 Squid topped with mentaiko mayo sushi is on the left. I have had never really taken to squid as sashimi but surprisingly, Sushi Zanmai delivers top notch flavors. Or maybe it's the mayo that did the trick as my mouth felt a heavenly bliss with the first (and only) bite of it.

Abalone-squid on the right has a purer, less tainted flavor so you can really taste the freshness of it. Both of them weren't your sad Japanese joint cut (read: thin). Rather generous, I might add.

 Soft shell crab temaki with roe and mentaiko mayo.
Although the seaweed wasn't as crispy as I'd like it, the flavors it encapsulated more than made up for it. Yea, the crab also suffered a little bit which I'm guessing is from the rice and sauce but this tasted really good, soggy or not.

 Can't recall what's the name of this but it's two different version of salmon sushi roll. On the inside, you have an almost thick cut of salmon with crispy bits held together by seaweed and then the rice. One's topped with bonito flake, while the other roe. Both of them were very filling and served well as a finisher (to the main meal).

 Chawanmushi or steamed egg.
When I took the first scoop, I was so amazed at how soft and smooth it was. My mother would have been so proud if this was my version of steamed egg. The mushroom did give it a nice umami flavor but I think the prawn was probably overcooked that it didn't have much of any taste. But, it had a nice crunchy texture.

A mentaiko mayo sushi platter. From left to right, egg, squid, abalone squid, scallop, prawn and salmon. The egg was a little too sweet for my liking. I found both the abalone and salmon to be rather thin so didn't quite get to taste much of it . However, this gave us a very satisfying fullness, the right way to end the meal.

Hopefully, Sushi Zanmai will keep up the good work and continue to come up with new menu items.

Comments