The food truck burger showdown

In the first corner, we have BBPMalaysia or Burger Bakar Power.

Seriously though, if you are going to have a signboard in that shade of blue and font, you ought to have your Facebook page setup with the same name. Not everyone has Instagram and/or Twitter, me being one of those. I just fail to see the need for those when you already have Facebook. Oh, so that you can reach to a wider audience outside your known circle? Why don't you just go whore yourself on the streets? Or just get a blog like me.

Click for larger menu. The basic burger starts at RM 7 which comes with the bun, patty, lettuce, onion and sauce of your selection.

The full works. This could easily set you back by RM10. At least.

I ordered the single patty with additional of cheese and egg. Although there weren't many customers, service was rather slow. Maybe it's because the patty was rather thick and needed longer time to cook. As the boys were literally just waiting for me to grab my dinner before we headed off for drinks, I felt bad and wanted to cancel but the BBP guy said it was too late since the meat was already on the grill =\ I can't be the only one who ordered beef as there were few other Malays and ang mohs around but whatever.

When my burger finally did arrive, it was rather huge and they were generous with the black pepper sauce that it was dripping about. This is something best eaten at home where you needn't worry about black drool coming out from a corner of your mouth. Certainly not date food since it will be very challenging to eat without making a mess. I love the melting cheese atop the egg. The raw onion rings gave it that fresh crunch but some may find it too strong. Bun was just slightly better than Ramly's or McDonald's but a bit soft. Maybe it's because of the sauce.

While the patty was big (almost humongous), it was certainly quantity over quality. Sure, they were generous with the meat but you get bites of not-meat. Possibly tendon. Possibly spare part. Sorry, I can't tell. It's like the juicier version of McD's quarter pounder.

BBPMalaysia's contender at the other side is Texas PJ Hotdog & Burger. Such a mouthful like their footlong so it'll be referred to as Texas henceforth.

Located in Seapark (or Paramount depending on how geographically challenged you are), this is quite a no frills burger truck. Unlike BBPMalaysia that has a nice space with few tables and chairs to accommodate diners, Texas has few chairs for patrons to wait for their burgers to be ready.

Oh and possibly for the Indon aweks to pass time. No kidding. The guys were hitting on them while serving them up. Burgers. Not sure if they have any other arrangement once the food truck is closed for the day.... But the Texas guys were somewhat disappointed to hear that the girls were already attached. Not that I meant to eavesdrop but..... it was a public area.... and I was sitting between both parties.

Two guys who may be Indon but they have rather good chemistry as they managed to whip the burger much faster than BBP despite having fewer manpower. You can pick your sauce of black pepper, mustard, mayo, chilli and tomato (why so boring?).

I opted for their beef quarter pounder.

Added egg and cheese. One guy was assembling my burger. After he placed the patty on the bottom bun, I was slightly disappointed because I was hoping to have the cheese melting on the beef. Turned out that they actually melted the cheese on the egg which was cooking away on a mini pan.

The buns were much nicer and fluffier. One stark difference was the onion. Texas provided caramelized onion so you don't get hit with that sharp rawness. There is still a nice fresh crunch from the lettuce. The guy wasn't heavy handed with the sauce (black pepper and mustard were my picks) so you won't be slobbering over your burger. Makes it easier to impress your date. But if your date brings you here, I don't know, man. It's good stuff but really? A date at a burger food truck? You better damn well tell me upfront so that I don't waste my make up and killing my posture with high heels and a nice dress to sit by the road side.

Tender grill chicken burger is their best seller for third month in a row but I didn't get to taste it. According to my source, it had texture like fish and was awesome. How often do you hear something that doesn't feel/taste like chicken (crocodile meat tastes like chicken. so does a lot of other exotic meat too)? Well, I'm not going to comment any further on this until I tried it myself. Plus my brain was on safe mode when he gushed about its awesomeness that things may have been translated inaccurately ;D

So, who wins? BBPMalaysia or Texas PJ?
For me, the clear winner is the latter solely because of their meat patty. While there were few bites that didn't feel very much like (lean) meat, BBP's meat felt more artificial overall. But don't take my word for it. Have a go at both and decide for yourself.

Comments