Review: Old Town, Bukit Tinggi Klang


Between OldTown and PappaRich, the latter has better variety and choices but their prices tend to be higher as  well. With that in mind, I suggested to go to the former instead. Technically, PappaRich is better in terms of quality but end of day, money matters.

Only the second day of the goat year, the place was really crowded for lunch. Guess everyone was as lazy as us to cook at home as there were few other tables of families albeit small like our party of 3. The girl on the right was looking at me as I took pictures using my DSLR. Maybe she hasn't really seen one before. She was there with her father only and they both ate in relative silence. That's the typical Chinese Asian family for you.

More Chinese families are becoming more open, affectionate with their parenting style which is a good thing. But when a teenage girl drags her grandmother to shopping and wants to buy a midriff top that even I would be shy to wear in public, something is wrong here. Oh and she was wearing those tiny ripped jeans short that was almost showing the inside pockets. The grandmother happily obliged to her clothing choice. Maybe I'm just old fashioned =(

Lent has just started this week and I sort of  took part. Unfortunately, barely one week (3days to be exact) and I broke my first vow: Coffee.

Come on, you go to a place where white coffee is emblazoned practically everywhere, how can you not order it? While it isn't the best (made my vow breaking not very worth it), it was quite worth the caffeine shot. A friend gave up coffee few years back for Lent and I was thinking, "Really? I thought it's supposed to be something that'll test your faith". Now, it all made sense because it is truly testing me.

The iced version. To be honest, I find that their coffee a little watered down. But that's really my take.

They have the set lunch and dinner which wasn't applicable on public holidays. Still, there are other sets available. I opted for the toast and egg. All sets came with a drink.
Since when did they butter the toast in this manner? Sure, it's nice when you reach the stick of butter but elsewhere around the toast, there's just kaya. I feel slightly cheated. Is it because this is part of a set? The toast was also a bit thin but they were generous with the kaya. At RM 9.90, is this to be expected?

The eggs took awhile to arrive but it was quite worth it. I prefer to crack my own eggs (no pun intended) but here, they do it for you. Great if you don't like to dirty your hands. Not so great if you're like me and prefer to eat them one at a time. One thing to give them credits is the eggs were cooked so nicely that the yolks and whites were still runny. Wonder how they did it ... hm....
Unfortunately, the experience was somewhat marred by mediocre soy sauce and pepper powder that tasted like it's been mixed with rice powder.
Or so that's what my father used to say.

Ipoh chicken hor fun or flat noodles set at RM 15.90. If you've ever been to or tried the Ipoh noodles, you'll understand why people crave over them so much. That silky smoothness, that soft bite, it's very different from the Klang Valley version. Some say it's because of the water used that came from the hills.

This one certainly did live up to its name as the noodles tasted almost like it was sourced from Ipoh. The soup was also almost on par. According to my parents. Who were born and bred in Ipoh.

Dry curry Ipoh hor fun. I found the dark gravy in this a little too thick but it could have been my father who didn't mix it all well. The waitress gave us an extra (small) bowl of curry upon request (not pictured here) and it was quite nice. Of course, it can't beat the rich thick version in Ipoh but it did make for a passable version.

While the noodles were aplenty, the meat weren't as much. This set was about RM 12.

Comments