The Gift of Life


Does this look familiar to you? If not, you should consider donating blood. Many people think that:
  • they'll get infected with AIDS & the like if they donate - er, more likely that you'll infect the recipient 
  • they'll get fat after donating blood - eh, you losing blood, how to gain weight some more? 
  • their religion doesn't allow for it - this isn't quite my domain but I would think that any God would want Its believers to save lives. 
  • they are afraid of the pain - uh, just a bit only.
Question e) is an interesting one. A friend of mine got blacklisted from ever donating blood for the rest of his life because he had indirectly implicated himself as being promiscuous. I mean, seriously, how many of us goes thru life with only one sexual partner?

Today, I'll give you a step by step, blow by blow account of donating blood. Hopefully, this would raise more awareness and convert more into donors.


Typically, you can either drop by those blood donation drives held outside by some organization or just drop by to any hospital. Regular donors would probably be more attuned to the events and see which would coincide with their next donation since you can only donate once every 3months, just long enough for your body to regenerate the lost blood. If you want to donate at a hospital, do take note of their policy e.g. opening hours. I know that PPUM's blood center is open on Saturdays until 12.30pm. Parking is slightly better here on weekends. Of course, going straight to the National Blood Center is even better (if you don't mind the drive to downtown KL). They are opened throughout the weekends until evening.

Once there, fill up a basic form as above that questions you about your medical, sexual and basic life history. During my most recent visit, they have gotten stricter about their donors that I think it's unlikely I'll ever donate again. Having a Hepatitis carrier in the family certainly carries more than just the virus.

After they have registered you in the system, be prepared with your finger. Middle, ring, whichever you like best. This is where the pain comes in: when they first poke a finger to test your blood type out. Really, this is the most painful part of the entire ordeal. It's like they use some sort of sharp stapler to prick your finger to get few drops. It doesn't help that the thing has a loud click to it.

Proceed to the bed and make yourself comfortable as that's where you'll be for the next 15minutes or so. Oh, also decide which hand you want to donate from. I prefer the left since it's my non-dominant but if you are driving manual, the right one would make more sense.

Some local anesthetic to numb the area. This part also hurts quite a bit ironically.


Usually, it is at this stage that I'll look away because that is one omfg mighty frigging huge needle to draw the blood out. But for your sake, I grew some balls to take this picture. Even though laying on the bed, it felt dizzying to just be looking at such a big needle with an equally big hole.

Now, the anesthetic would have kicked in by now. If you are lucky, the nurse would be able to find a vein to poke it in. If you are lazy and exercise is just another routine in your imagination, then best of luck. Hope that the nurse is good enough to spot a viable vein without having to poke one too many times. It happened to me before when midway through, they decided my vein was pumping too slowly and decided to switch hands -_-

Here comes the fun part. Just lay down and occasionally squeeze the ball. Sometimes, if they place the tube on your hand, you can feel the warmth pulsating through.

This is test tubes for random testing. If you've accumulated enough donations, you are eligible for certain perks in government hospitals.

The minimum amount is 300ml and that's really what I've been able to donate in recent years. I would love to donate the full pack but probably my blood pressure is on the low side and people sometimes ask if my weight qualifies 🤣 I look that scrawny meh?

Once the bag is filled up, the nurse will remove it all and put a band aid on for you. Just take few more minutes to rest and try not to stand up too soon or abruptly. I didn't exactly do that but must have not waited long enough that I didn't realize my arm was bleeding away as I walked back to my car. Bleeding is an understatement as the blood formed a river down my wrist and I was literally dripping blood with every step.

Yea, it was cool but the nurses didn't think so and the cleanup was messy.

Like all other typical Malaysian affair, a blood donation is incomplete without a parting gift.


Not pictured in this goodie bag is a notebook. Not a laptop but a paper one which I haven't used to this day.

This one is from PPUM. Their selection is pretty standard e.g. sandwiches, buns and freshly made hot beverage. Quite boring but makes for a good quick snack.

There was once I was their last donor for the week and they had these that were expiring the next day. So they decided to give them all to me :D Yea, I had a field day week just eating Twiggies for the following week.

Blood Center in KL probably has more budget as they provide a full meal, complete with appetizer and dessert. Depending on the day of the week, this one is Sunday I think. They even had a notice on which day has what (Saturday is nasi lemak). There was a point of time when I looked forward to donating blood here solely for the free food.

Hey, don't judge me. I was really broke ok?

Comments