Review: Kenny Roger Roasters

I recall when it first landed on Malaysian soil. It was my high school days and my father would bring us to the outlet in Amcorp Mall. Unlike kids these days, it felt like a treat because hey, it's not fast food. No queuing up. No standing and staring at the menu. Wait to be seated. Flip thru the menu. Ask the waiter to take your order. Pay when you're done.

 These days, it's not quite a luxury but it's not takeaway friendly. Although I could afford it (slightly), they are more expensive than KFC and slower. They are a good option when you want something relatively healthy or at least protein packed. My usual order would be the quarter chicken with 2sides. Depending on which outlet, some fares better than the other. I think over the years, their chicken has deteriorated. Or maybe it's because of breast meat that they are dry and slightly tough. It is aggravated by the lack of sauce.

Their sides can be a highlight of their own. I don't usually have macaroni and cheese but here I do. Not sure how a good mac&cheese is supposed to taste like but this felt like it could use more cheese. Mashed potato is less salty than KFC's. Coleslaw is definitely better than Colonel Sanders'. The chicken meatballs are rather queer. They have an odd texture and taste somewhat artificial.

Of course, the best thing on their menu has got to be their muffins. Love them when it's fresh out of the oven. So fresh, so warm.

They do have other items in the menu but I've never quite bothered to try them. Is there anything I'm missing out on?

Comments