Review: True Story


Jonah Hill and James Franco. The former always got me into thinking he was one of the Jonas brothers (shows how acquainted I am with boy bands these days) and how fat he gotten since they stopped prancing around on stage. The latter has bored me to tears for 1h24m which did feel like 127hours.

Compared to his previous gig (which I watched),  Hill is more subdued, serious here, a very far cry from being Di Caprio's side kick. Franco is just being Franco, neither here nor there. One thing's for sure: he does play the psychotic murderer on trial character rather spot on that it does get eerie at times. What's worse is how his face is so pretty yet menacing at the same time. I had a crush on him but after watching him get bashed on Comedy Central's Roast (which I didn't have the stomach for), he has become quite the creepster.

If anything, it is difficult to define Franco's career into a single genre.
An actor? He dabbles in teaching as well.
Performing art? Yes but I don't know if The Interview is what one would categorize as art.
He has done so much across the spectrum that his resume reads like... nothing.

Anyway, how does this specific movie fare?
Slow but not as bad as the canyon movie.
Gripping... is not a word I'd use.
Tense is another.

Good performance from Hill. Brilliant from Franco.
The storyline could have improved.

Comments