A mix of old and new - Jalan Panglima, Ipoh

 Over the years, Ipoh tourism has flourished, (no) thanks to the younger generation trying to attract more people by putting in new ideas. As someone who calls this (once) sleepy town its home town, I feel nostalgic looking at how things have changed. My ching tong kway teow is now being sold by Indon ladies. My ka li hor fun is being cooked by Myanmar men. While they still do taste good (to me, at least), the ambiance has certainly changed and it's no longer the Ipoh I grew up in.

Nostalgia aside, this is a good boost to Perak. Many people are flocking over for a quick weekend getaway. The abundance of good (cheap) food here is a major attraction. Actually, apart from food, there isn't much to recommend to outsiders. Hence, in a bid to have more tourist spots, there's this open air weekend morning market. Like a flea market but open air. Mainly fresh produce. You can't get more hipster than this.

 This actually reminded me of a game I was once addicted to.

 They have revitalized this back lane to host different stalls selling everything from food to handicraft. All of which are home/hand made.

 To be honest, I found the place didn't quite have the essence of Ipoh. It is a poor representation of Ipoh though it would be more appropriate to call it a misrepresentation. For starters, French inspired bread/scone/cupcakes?

If you want the best of Ipoh baked good, it has to be egg tart.

 One good thing about this place is how it manages to blend with the nature instead of destroying it altogether. If you have the opportunity, pop by Plan B that's just on the left. How is the menu different from the KL branches? Well, I don't know. It is strange for me to travel up north to venture into the same stuff I can get back home.

"It's perfect to be imperfect because perfection is made up of many imperfections put together that makes it perfect".

But when you stop striving for perfection, you might as well be dead.

Comments