Tea & croissant: Lounging in the Airport

The last time I traveled on company expense was many donkey years ago that I was excited to be going on this one though the flight alone was close to 14hours. My flight arrangements were done in an almost haphazard manner but thankfully, that was sorted out before the eleventh hour. Most corporations use Amex as their corporate credit card as it offers better deals for flights and accommodation.

Initial plan was to fly SQ (Singapore Airline) by stopping at Changi before taking another direct flight to London. MAS (Malaysia Airline) offers direct flight from KL to London but nobody wanted to take the chance. Miraculously, they managed to book me a direct flight from KL to London on BA (British Airway). Even more shocking is that it was a business class (or as BA calls it, Club World). Having flown on AirAsia for the past few times, it was refreshing to go on an entirely new airline. There is no denying that the business class is the cherry on top.

One of the perks of flying business/first class is access to the airport lounge facilities. This is KLIA's Plaza Premium Lounge that's open to certain card holders of these banks.

BA partnered/uses MAS' lounge for their guests' convenience. If this post is starting to sound like some fangirl or village idiot straight into the city, the fact is I am. All my life, never stepped foot into the airport lounge that (I think) is reserved for the elite. For verification, the receptionist will require your boarding pass.

Welcome to the lounge. While I can't compare (since it was my first), the space was open and airy. Lights were dimmed so that you don't strain your eyes. The lounge was quite filled up but didn't give a congested atmosphere. There are 2 main sections: dining and sitting. The former is on the right of this picture. You get a mini buffet spread of both savory and sweet meals. Although it was 10pm, the trays were still being replenished.

For the savory, there are small bites of sandwiches, salad, cheese as well as heavier meals e.g. noodles and meat. For the sweet, it was a choice of tarts and fruits.

I made the error of not exploring the place before settling at the smaller buffet spread which was conveniently located near the entrance. Sampled their tomato egg sliders (dry and almost tasteless), chocolate pastry (dry and maybe can use as ping pong ball) and fruit tart (nothing to shout about). Undeterred by such a lousy first impression, I switched to their smoked salmon and cheese spread. Those fared better.

There is also a bar that serves alcohol and fizzy colas if that's your thing. Another has coffee and juices to order. I saw a few girls who looked like they are still in university, lucky bitches.  I wish I saw some men in there who'd marry me so that I don't have to fly AirAsia or even economy class for the rest of my life.

This is one of the better perks imho. It had been a very hot day. Even after close to 3showers, I was still sweating from all the walking with my laptop in my backpack (among others). Thus, a shower was necessary before I boarded the train. Yup, a goddamn shower with essentials provided.

It was just glorious.

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow, business class, mucho envy

Share on Instagram
aMy said…
you travel way more than i do.