Tea & croissant: Fly in (business) class

Apart from access to their lounge, business class entitles you to a whole new world of being in the air. Or maybe I've been flying with AirAsia too much that I forget how normal citizens do it.

The first thing on the plane that'll mark the beginning of your journey would obviously be the chair. And BA certainly made sure that you will be comfortably settled in regardless of how long the journey with a rather comfy chair. To be honest, I wouldn't call it very comfortable but it is certainly more padded.

Some of the perks of the seat. The usual suspects such as media center (movies, TV series, music, games, podcasts, radio, news), flexible tray (it doesn't come from the seat in front of you, rather, it's tucked/hidden away in the arm rest). The not-so-usual suspect would be the reclining chair which folds out to a somewhat flat bed, foot rest.

More wonderful features when you have the money to splash to fly in style.

This is what you really get. That's a pillow but I think MAS' iconic blue pillow is way nicer. The blanket was rather thick and slightly wider than the chair. Almost cumbersome that I spilled 2 glasses of wine there. What, it was a long haul flight and I needed some shuteye.

Noise cancelling headphones from Sennheiser but my pair was slightly cranky as it had quite a bit of static whenever I move. In their attempt to make a difference, they provided envelope for you to donate. Would you? Would they accept if I put in RM 10 which comes up to less than GBP 2.

That's the control panel for the media player chair. At the bottom is the laptop drawer.

Remote control for the media center. It's connected to its socket with a rewindable cord. Very useful when you are bundled up with their blanket and the remote control is hidden somewhere in there.

Oh, wait. What's this? A goodie bag?

Well, sort of. Lip balm (it can get chapped), collagen/serum (it is very drying), toothbrush, toothpaste, pen. I like their earplugs.

My flight was at 11.30pm, scheduled to land at 5.30am local time. Not the funnest of times or the best of combos so alcohol was in order. It isn't like I demanded for it; the air stewardess came around and offered champagne prior to take off. Sweet bubbly with salty roasted cashew nuts, I can no longer look at flying in the same light again.

Click and prepare to be amazed
The menu. I skipped the dinner that came an hour after takeoff. Focused on drinks and nuts. Watched movies while trying to get some sleep.

This was all I tried from their dinner menu. Pistachio frangipane tart and cherry couis.
It's like a cherry tart but weirder. Not too sweet but certainly not the kind of dessert I had in mind. Still, a good start of a flight. Maybe the best ever. 

Not sure why but they provided vinaigrette for my dessert. And yes, that's butter. Real butter that was still quite hard.

It was a 13hour 50minutes flight. Despite a full flat bed with comfy blanket and foot space, sleep was just not happening. Not in long stretches at least. Naps of 2 hours then in the land between the asleep and struggling to sleep. Repeat that for 12hours for multiple cycles. I envy those who was snoozing away. I know because I could hear them snore -_-"""

Soon enough, there was just no sleeping. The body works in wonderful but sometimes, god-awful ways. Like not letting you sleep when it's obvious that you didn't get enough because hey, this is the time that you are usually awake.

At least there was breakfast to look forward to. Strawberry bircher muesli.

It was my first time trying muesli and good heavens, it was yummy. Sure, it was all mushy but the flavor was just right. Sweetness from the strawberry made it such a joy to finish. So much so that it tempted me to make some of my own at home.

Croissant was a bit lackluster. Unlike our crispy and fluffy ones, this one was a bit more like bread.

Smoked salmon with cream cheese. All my life, salmon had always been eaten raw as sashimi. I never paid much attention to the smoked version because it's rare and hard to come by and when they do, they usually cost a bomb. This is quite possibly the most high class breakfast that I've ever had. High in few ways =D

The perks don't quite stop at your chair and meal. They even provide you with an expedited immigration check-in. It's very handy at airports where the line can get very long even at 5am.

Good morning, London.

Comments