Marmalade, Bangsar Village

There aren't that many places in Bangsar that accepts American Express (Amex) which is surprisingly because if Bangsar don't, what hope does Amex have everywhere else? Hence, it's always tricky when I venture to this affluent neighbourhood in search of some Amex-friendly joint. If you know of any, please let me know.

As to why it must be Amex, it keeps me grounded and less likely to use it, knowing not many would accept it. Wait, wouldn't it make my life easier to just use the Visa/Mastercard instead then? Well, yes but I also don't want to be spending too easily/freely. Women's mentality, you'll never get it.

Classic bolognese RM 29: spaghetti with minced beef simmered with mushroom in an herbed tomato base, topped with baked Parmesan.
This was so rich, so decadent that it reminded me of beef ragu. I love the thickness of the sauce and how the meat just blends in so well with the pasta. That piece of baked cheese really hits you with the pungent flavor. Definitely one of the best bolognese I've tried.

Chicken pot pie RM 29: Pulled chicken stewed in velouse sauce with carrots, potatoes and pearl onions, baked in puff pastry.
My second visit was a rather exciting one. After I forgo my usual Amex-or-not question, it was then that I realized I didn't have enough cash. And that my hungry brain forgot my previous visit was with the Visa. Which, of course, was sleeping at home. Few frantic moments and texts and probably giving the waiters the very possibility of not being able to pay (do you accept amex/Boost/TouchNGo? No to all the above), it was great that they take debit card and what do you know, I didn't have to wash dishes after all.

I wished that all that panic was well worth in this pretty little pie. Sadly, it was quite bland that I had to add pepper for taste. Pearl onions is certainly not my thing (or any onion except deep fried, as a matter of fact). The only good was it was really hot and remind so till the end. The puff pastry was also nice and flaky but it really couldn't save this somewhat lackluster of a pie.

Comments