XXXIII: The two men of Taiwan


Although the name does ring a bell, how familiar are you with Sun Yat Sen? I knew he was an important political figure in the uprising of Taiwan. It was only during this trip that I realized how big he was to them, despite the fact that he never really stayed in the country. Is this what V for Vendetta meant about ideas?

The other name that played a role was Chiang Kai Shek. The Shilin Official Residence is open to the public for free. The grounds are mainly for horticulture. This is a public telephone which I can't quite tell if it's for display only.

There's even a chapel on the grounds with chairs instead of pews. Chiang would attend mass with his wife here every Sunday. It was only refurbished not too long ago. Wonder how much of this is original.

The greenhouse has many different plants and flowers in bloom. There are gardeners working to tend to the gardens as the entire area was relatively well kept for a free tourist attraction.

However, the actual residence is a paid attraction which we passed up. Have to save money to eat more food. 😂

Comparatively, Sun is more revered in Taiwan though I'm not sure if it's the case with the younger generation. Just how revered, you ask?

Lo and behold, a status of him with a sign that says "Salute, please". This is at the aptly named Sun Yat-sen Memorial hall in downtown Taipei.
 
You think only Buckingham Palace has changing of guards ceremony?

Puhlease. However, I fail to see the attraction in this.
Tourists were recording it on their phones, holding it with their hands. Sure, the guards are impressive with such controlled movement, precise steps but is it that big of a deal? Maybe I just have the attention span of a kid 👶

Sun introduced Three Principles of the People for Taiwan to ensure that the nation will continue to prosper. It's a long read but it does make sense if put in place properly. Meanwhile, back home, we are kinda failing on a particular one...

Anyway, don't say that my patriotism is dead or I don't love remember my own country because I took the following pictures because Malaysia was mentioned in there.

404. Get it? OK you 404 then.

The exchange rate for MYR to NTD was about 1:14 which not great. Now, I need it to go lower so that I can exchange back my NTD.

There are few different exhibition halls with different exhibitions going on. On was on a lady with her cat. Strange work, indeed. I can only imagine one mauling her when the time comes. Or maybe that's just my subconscious warning myself  T_T

The entire hall isn't that big so about 2-3hours here would suffice if your leg can take that much of walking.

Sorry for the bad pictures as I was too lazy to use my camera as it was running low on battery and I was really just too lazy.
And stupid. And regretful. Remorseful 😔

Comments