XXXIII: The Japanese Invasion


You know the type of people who goes to a place when the proprietor takes to effort to create a separate menu in a foreign language. It's not uncommon to see menu in Chinese, English, Japanese and at places, Korean but this last one is quite rare. Some of the signboards even come in Japanese. They certainly know how to cater to their clientele.

 Okonomiyaki is a dish that I can say with certainty originates from Japan. It's found its way into the streets of Taipei and while I don't personally like it, I don't dislike it either.

You can find okonomiyaki stalls in most of the night markets in Taipei. This one is in Shilin, the most well known of them all. I don't know if theirs is the best okonomiyaki but lets find out.

It's basically a mash up of cabbage with your choice of toppings. Ours was just a simple cheese, mayo and bonito flakes. There isn't much choice on the menu though. Although they do pre-make them to a certain extent, people still queued up so it must be good. For me, my preference to them remains unchanged.

Comments