Tinderland: The modern day answer to matchmaker


 Found this when spring cleaning my room in my parents' place. It was written in my college day. My standards were relatively low then, slightly improved now. Gotta account for inflation, ya know? It is funny how priorities shift/change over time. Some have been met, some are work in progress, some no longer valid. Friends and colleagues alike are indirectly hinting that it's time I find a man and settle down. The usual line would be, "you're not getting younger. you're not that ugly". OK, thank you.

So, after hearing about it for awhile and procrastinating for few good months, I finally decided to set my plan into motion: to get laid dates.  Unless you have been living underground or your Internet connection really sucks (are you using Unifi?), Tinder is the app for meeting new people. Best of all, its algorithm of allowing a connection only if both parties consent to it is like no rape sex. OK, I should stop with my lousy humor.

 If you have seriously not heard or used the app before, here's a lowdown:
  1. Install the app on your phone 
  2. Setup your profile by linking it to your Facebook profile 
  3. Adjust some settings on the kind of people that you want to look for (gender, location) 
  4. Swipe right if you're interested to connect with them and left if vice versa
Simple enough right? It takes away the awkwardness of finding out that the person isn't your cup of tea so no need to think of an exit strategy. The thing that irked me most is it doesn't allow independent profile setup i.e. without linking to an existing Facebook profile. I'm here to have fun, not make friends. I also don't want people to know how low I've stooped. There are those inspirational quotes by millennials about being happy with yourself, not settling for anyone just for the sake of it, accept yourself for who you are but sometimes, it makes me wonder if they truly believed in those words or are they just sad, lonely, forever alone, possibly fat and broke folks trying to console themselves.

The grass is always greener on the other side. Both sides have their arguments but when you have to defend your lifestyle and choices, it speaks much on your conviction. There is a fine line of blowing your trumpet and trying to convince yourself by convincing others. Why do you need someone else's buy-in/approval for your decision? However, as someone who is guilty of needing constant reassurance, I should be the last person to comment on this.

 There'll come a time when you've exhausted all the options within your range and the disappointment will set in. The climax comes from matching with someone who thought you worthy of their time. Nothing quite like the "You matched!" popup immediately after you swiped right on someone as it means they liked you first.

Like everything in life, Tinder has its detractors such as this though this is more of a case of someone who just couldn't be arsed about dating in general. The friend who first planted the idea to me, hb gave me few pointers to help me started and also to give me the motivation for it. Tinder is one of those things which people do but don't talk about. Especially when they happen to be either of these:
  • Married - for all the obvious reasons 
  • Single - so as not to appear pathetic/desperate 
Which kind of includes the entire general population. But, luckily for you, I have neither the reason nor embarrassment to hide about it. If anything, my Tinder journey has so far been rather fulfilling in ways more than one. 

 Of course, there'll be times when you discover people aren't as interesting as their profile picture and descriptions so Tinder has got you covered. Over the years, I'd done my fair share of ghosting. It's unlikely that it'll go away as social media, dating apps and the Internet in general has made it so easy to cut ties just.like.that. As how eloquently Pablo Neruda says in Tonight I Can Write The Saddest Lines:
Love is so short, forgetting is so long.
 The line may or may not relate to my point but it's a very nice comeback for anyone who wants to break your heart, don't you think? Anyway, I feel it's easier to nip it in the bud before things get too heavy and it'll become really difficult to move on.

With more than a handful of matches (about 100 last I recall) and close to 10 meetups, they have all been interesting and opened my eye. Some were good. Some were mediocre. Thankfully, nothing untoward has happened to me so far but don't press your luck on that if you don't have a penis.

Comments