Review: Shakura Pigmentation Beauty Centre, The Curve

 The amount of marketing call I get for beauty related services are astonishing. Oddly enough, this is one that I willingly signed up for via a link on a Jobstreet email. Yes, perhaps they know of how ugly I am so they thought a free facial could help with my job hunt. Come to think of it, the last one on slimming was also a link bait from Jobstreet.


Anyway, the online booking is very handy as you pick your preferred slot and someone would call you back to confirm the appointment. Whether you get attended to on time is another matter altogether. What befuddles me is how these beauty centers (facial, slimming) has no sense of punctuality. This is not one but at least three different ones. Your appointment maybe at 6pm but you'd be lucky if you're served by 6.15pm. Sure, they tell you to take a seat but dude, I expect you to work your charm on me by 6.15pm not 6.30pm.

 My very first facial session was almost a half a decade ago which is quite late and it had been a downhill journey for my purse ever since then. The consultants can be very persistent, insistent and downright annoying in getting you to buy this and that. They'd be content only after they have squeezed every penny cent out of you. Of course, given the choice, they'd take your first born too.

With Shakura, it is only slightly better as their facial is different. This is me all comfy and ready to be beautified. Or normalized depending on your definition of beauty. The session is rather standard with the usual cleansing with their in-house product. They'll talk about how great their products are and how their package will change your life. If their package is as great as Beckham's in those CK ads, I wouldn't mind.

Unfortunately, their product/service works on the premise of peeling off dead skin to allow new, young, fresh skin to shine through to give your face a glow. My first experience with peeling and it is like what it's hyped out to be : stinging, painful. It almost felt as though my face was burning but I sucked it up (as always) and cried internally for making myself uglier.

My face didn't end up too blemish but it was evidently red after that treatment. The consultant assured me that it'll pass and that it was nothing to worry about. I suppose I could pour acid on her face and tell her the same but smiled and thanked her for the assurance. At least she didn't press further on to sell me the package (again). I'm sure this kind of treatment would suit some people (how else they managed to stay in business with few branches?) but it ain't for me.

 A parting gift to change my mind. Who doesn't like freebies?

 Cleansing milk is supposedly an alternative to the harsh soap version but it's something that I'm not accustomed to. More often than not, it leaves me with a less-than-clean feeling and slightly sticky. This was slightly better as it had a bit of the peeling property so it's not one I'd recommend for a daily cleanser unless you treat your face like a scouring pad.

 The thing with freebies in general is their size. I never know how much application they are for. Once is too little to maximize its value. Two is too much to fully enjoy its effect. Anyway, I tried this after the milk and it was a far better experience than at the center.

Verdict: If you ever want to know what it's like to have your skin peeled from your face without being under the influence of anesthesia or you're just a glutton for pain, come to me give this place a try.

Comments

aMy said…
yea, quite though it's not the worst i've encountered
Annoyedcustomer said…
definitely hard sell. They already start to pester you while you're lying on the treatment bed hoping for a relaxing time. I almost wanted to yell at them for disturbing my peace. You're there to destress, not get EVEN more stressed from having to burst your credit card limit! Try it for yourself!
Royalclinicuae said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
unknown said…
Nice product..this is handy and useful also. For reducing pigmentation and acne best and effective product for my skin is organic beauty protein powder