Review: How to Lose Friends & Alienate People



This was just a title that I never got around to watching because:
  • it didn't strike me as interesting
  • the title sounds weird
  • I've not heard of it before

Interestingly enough, there are quite a number of well known faces in it including Kirsten Dunst and Jeff Bridges. Oh and yes, Megan Fox. Given how most of Dunst's works that I have watched so far are rather heavy (Melancholia, Virgin Suicides), she came as a surprise playing a comedic role in this one. The girl next door appeal with cuteness and elegance.

To summarize the movie, it is a show about how things that can go wrong WILL go wrong when you least expect it. Most of the time, it's because you were a dumb ass. There are many cringe worthy moments which make you want to bury yourself away. Even if it doesn't sound like a good movie, Megan Fox does provide some eye candy if you can get past her rather atrocious acting. But then again, she plays a rather bad actress in the movie so that is good?

The funny thing after watching this movie was how I was caught in a similar situation the following day in the office. My earphone was pegged down by the laptop and somehow, my laptop accidentally undocked when I tried to remove my earphone. Not so bad if not for the fact that my earphone was connected via the docking station and my laptop decided to emit the sound via its built in speaker. Still not so bad if not for Firefox making my day better by serving up some tunes via YouTube.

Also still passable.
Except this was playing.
So my colleagues got a slice of my music when my laptop blared it away. Almost at full blast.

In my panic, in my laptop's confusion, buttons are slow to respond. Lag sets in.
The mute button didn't quite register (initially). By the time it did, 1minute may have passed which felt like an eternity when you have an entire office wondering who is blasting techno tunes. Not the finest of moments. So much so that I was literally half cowering under my desk to drown/soften the music. My brain did think of running out of there and somewhere safe, away from prying eyes.

Embarrassing? You bet.
So yes, I know how Sidney feels like.

Comments