Review: Choy Hi, Puchong

16, Jalan Kenari 18A,
Bandar Puchong Jaya,
Puchong Jaya, 47100
Tel# 03-8079 1382

 
Met up with the boys in Puchong for an overdue gathering. We used to work in the same company and were lunch buddies. It was fun to head over to Dengkil for cheap economy rice and talk cock sing song. Yes, I was the sole female in the group which was perfectly fine. Do I act more feminine or ladylike, trying to get my way around them? No. If anything, they make me more manly to the point few of them asked me to tone down on my cursing if I still want to find a husband =_=

Few of us have moved onto different companies but we try to catch up when possible. This is one of those times.

Deep fried tofu in soy sauce with minced pork. Come to think of it, most of my Chinese dinners lately have this dish but I didn't order it. Must  be a Chinese thing. We must really like crispy skinned tofu with a bit of gravy. While Kai Ming's had a thick gravy, this was a light soy sauce gravy.

The auditor wanted to have steamed fish. Being the lowest paid there, there was no choice but to agree. Turned out to be a wise thing as the fish was fresh and very fleshy.

Neither did it have that usual fishy taste. It wasn't that expensive either.
Sorry, can't recall exactly how much instead.

Watercress vegetable soup. This is one of my personal favorite soups that I usually cook at home (not like there are many that I know how to cook). Their version is slightly different in that the vegetable still had some bite to them (not soft) and the soup had a lighter taste to them as opposed to mine that is usually sweeter from the red dates and wolf-berries. While their soup has its own merit (not heavy on the palette), their chef may have been lazy because not only were the leaves left on the stalk, the stalks themselves were not chopped and they were long that you have to slowly bite your way through them.

Steamed kampung chicken, just like how grandma used to make them. Actually, my late grandmother would make them using her own personal harem of chickens that she reared at the backyard. Those chickens had room to run about that they developed pretty good muscles so the meat was more tough since there was more exercise that translated to lack of fat. No fat means no juicy.
These were the complete opposite. I like the texture and it was cooked just nice. The accompanying oyster chilli sauce really brought the flavors out. Not too spicy but certainly complemented the dish well.

For our party of 5, 3 of us are in PJ, 1 in Setia Alam and the last in Seri Kembangan. The last one bitched about having to make the trip all the way over to PJ and suggested we meet halfway i.e. Puchong. As much as a (Chinese) food mecca Puchong may be, I hate going there because I pass by the place every single day for work and it often left me with bad impression courtesy of its traffic though it's really the LDP that annoys me utmost.

Somehow, we all made our way all the way to here, only for the reason for this location to tell us that he was already having dinner with his family and would only be joining us after that -_- Dude, seriously. I am sure there is a bro code for that. Even if I am no bro. But sometimes, I feel that I am more bro than some actual bro. e-penis, behave yourself. 

This was my very first lou sang for this year ^_^ No salmon slices, only jelly fish but that's all right. I love yee sang all the same. Salmon, silver fish, jelly fish, I heart you all in the name of yee sang.

A prosperous year ahead!
I miss yee sang already T_T

Comments