Review: Restaurant Ah Koong, Subang

Ground Floor No.47,
Jalan USJ 9/5P,
Subang Business Center,
47620 UEP Subang Jaya.
Tel# 03-8024 1554
http://www.ahkoong.com/
 This place has been around for so long that I am surprised when jl asked me out for dinner here. My father used to bring us here for the weekend during my high school days. Yea, it was that long ago. Nothing much about the restaurant has changed though. You still have to pick your food from the counter at the entrance. Your food is cooked there before they bring it to you.

Strange, isn't it, that the same formula works for some yet fails miserably for others.
This is their iced honey lemon. Recently, I've been giving them drinks a miss during meal times. Partly for economical reason (how can you charge me almost 40% of your food??). Partly to get rid of my sweet tooth.

 The MO here is really simple. If you are too lazy to go pick, just order from the menu. I generally do prefer to see what's available in the flesh to see if they are fresh. Over here, you get the usual assortment of fish products, be it in ball or paste form. There are also more extravagant choices e.g. oysters but those would obviously cost more. Not wanting to go on a carb ride, I opted for few fish balls, meat balls and tofu to call it a meal.

Their fish balls have a nice bite to them without that sometimes stinky fishy smell. I know, I know. Fish ball and no fish smell? There is such a thing where the balls where just way too fishy that it could have been rotten and cooked anyway. Thankfully, no such thing here. Most of their stuff here have a rather clean, light taste to it. Some may find them bland.

 Probably this is where the Chinese parsley come in. Something that you either like or dislike. I generally am in the latter.

 The usual order would be for fish noodle set with your choice of noodles. Good for those who don't want to be bombarded with too many decisions to make as it's all been predetermined.

 As again, it's light on the palate. Rather wholesome meal. I like the minced meat and touch of seaweed.

If you come here but don't order their fried fish cake, you might as well have not been here as this is the one thing that you can't miss. Fried until the skin is crispy, the filling remains firm and has a nice bite to it. Perfect with the chili sauce.

Comments