A Good Samaritan

[Disclosure: This post isn't meant to be self serving, humble bragging. Maybe a combination of them. Just maybe.]

In the span of two month (possibly one), I've managed to do two good deeds. Not one but two. Both of which are quite inconspicuous. Easily missed. Makes you wonder how it managed to happen but that it did.

The first was a man who left his wallet on a cooking wok in Tesco. At first glance, I thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me because hey, who would leave their wallet out in the open like that? Sure, they'd be more than glad to leave their rowdy kids in a corner for 'time out' but wallet? A quick check showed that the owner stayed near my place but not easily accessible to public (condo). Thankfully, it was a case of six degrees of separation as another friend happened to stay there and knows the guy (by face, not name as he didn't know his full name though come to think of it, do we all still do?). It took a wee bit of an effort to return the wallet but thankfully, that happened.

Did the thought of keeping the wallet to myself crossed my mind? Er, no. For what?
What about the cash inside? Oh yea, he had a wad of notes in both MYR and SGD. My eyes glistened and brightened at the sigh of so much money *_* but it was more of amazement. The last time I've had that much of cash was before paying my bills at the teller machines. Online banking takes the joy out of it.
I was rewarded with a cheese cake and a hearty Japanese meal which I wasn't quite expecting or asked for. A very nice gesture, nonetheless.

The second time was today in Pavilion KL. There were two ATMs and both at the counters were struggling. I don't know why people like to repeat their read-only transactions. It is as though the second time around, there'll be more money. Anyhow, this guy at the other teller was just finishing up while mine was contemplating if she should sell her ass to make ends meet (me thinks). Just as he left, the girl next in line proceeded to use the machine. There was just something amiss there.

Dude left his phone that's charging from the power bank on top of the machine. Luckily for him, the girl was short and couldn't see above. And that the lady in line behind me was kind enough to go after him because he walked off and I didn't want to give up my spot as I was next in line. He came back, smiling sheepishly to retrieve it. Not much word of gratitude, what more reward but hey, that's not what I did it for. The lady was commended by her colleague for her action who was kind enough to say it was me :D

Obviously, there is no proof that the above happened though retrieving the CCTV footage may help but it's up to you to believe. Not that it matters if you do (or don't). The point here is:
how come people can forget their belongings so easily?? I get paranoid and look into my bag to confirm my stuff is in there every half hour or so.


Also, hopefully, by doing so, society humanity would return the favor when I need it but you know what they say:
expecting people to be kind to you because you are to them is like hoping that the lion won't eat you because you won't eat it.

Comments